Saturday, March 5, 2011

“In short, an individual will be motivated to use the Internet if he or she believes it will help serve his or her objectives to socialize with other people. The vast majority of participants stated they use SNS because they are an efficient way to communicate with friends. One participant stated, “if you want to spread news quickly about an event or something, you can do it very easily on MySpace.” Many users take pleasure in this capacity for dispersing messages to multiple friends at one time. As one participant put it, “with MySpace I can tell the same thing to everyone, which prevents a million questions being asked.”

IT seems from reading the article that the main reasons the subjects used myspace was out of laziness, not wanting to have a long conversation, to communicate to large groups of people and avoid questions. It seems ironic that the social network actual can limit socialibility! I am a phone person, and never turn down a long conversation, so this must be why I am not so into facebook! There were also responses like using facebook to check up on people from high school, use myspace to avoid an expensive long distance phone bill, or to stalk crushes! We know the obvious that myspace can be a great way to network for jobs, or meet new friends.

Another interesting purpose users mention was to check up on roommates and who they were friends with prior to the housemate renting from them. I was looking to rent a room from a couple and when I went to check out the room for the first time, they had my myspace profile up on their computer! They said “”Oh we looked you up online, just to see if we knew any of the same people.” It turned out we did, I didn’t know if I was disturbed that they were investigating me or thankful they were trying to bond with their new housemate. Unlike most people, I never saw the film Social Network, however the information about how Facebook first began as a Harvard-only social network was interesting. ).” In 2005 Facebook opened access to high school students and in 2006 opened the site to the general public and introduced communities for commercial organizations (Smith, 2006). By 2007, Facebook was reported to have more than 21 million registered members generating 1.6 billion page views a day”
I also looked up the statistic on http://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?statistics and found that the current number of facebook users is over 500 million! Some new information I gained after reading the article is that in less than four years facebook has jumped from having 21 million users to over 500 million! That means an 25 fold increase!!!! Wow.Also, approximately 50 percent of those users log in everyday. Seventy percent of it’s users live outside the United States! This information was so interesting and I really really enjoyed this weeks topic! Thanks for reading my lengthly disperse J

3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to comment on your “lazy” point of using MySpace. I couldn’t agree with you more! Aside from social networks being a tool for communication, it’s true that people use it out of pure laziness. I think this way at times of email or text messaging. I actually like getting phone calls still. Though I’m guilty of tech communicating myself, I don’t like to rely on email or the internet alone. I have friends that will email throughout the day from their blackberrys or iphones. I have a blackberry but I find it annoying when it’s constantly buzzing with emails-especially if it’s full conversations. In that case, a simple phone call would suffice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SNS is definitely a convenient way to communicate with one another but at the same time that can be harmful to oneself depending on how dependent one is on their SNS. Like you said, SNS is a good way to get the word out. We see that through statuses and Facebook events and messages. I'm part of VSA and every week they spam all members about meetings the day before. Sometimes I feel it's easier to contact people via SNS than via email, which I find weird since email should be most important (considering we get emails about school and classes etc.).I was shocked by the 1.6 billion page views per day too. And I've never seen The Social Network either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SNS is definitely a convenient way to communicate with one another but at the same time that can be harmful to oneself depending on how dependent one is on their SNS. Like you said, SNS is a good way to get the word out. We see that through statuses and Facebook events and messages. I'm part of VSA and every week they spam all members about meetings the day before. Sometimes I feel it's easier to contact people via SNS than via email, which I find weird since email should be most important (considering we get emails about school and classes etc.).I was shocked by the 1.6 billion page views per day too. And I've never seen The Social Network either.

    ReplyDelete