Friday, April 8, 2011

The internet is an index, not a catalyst

Han continues to talk about physical space and how electric messages on television and broadcast meeting new modes of deliver defy that limit. It was a tough decision which page to site from~ I found two parts of this article especially intriguing, and the article rang the same bell as the Licklider paper earlier in the semester.”the Internet is an index not a catalyst of democratization and modernity a sign of the neo(liberal) west’s triumph over Soviet East communism. “ With the advent of the internet rural areas have the ability to offer services (and scams galore! online)

”Even our technologies foster democratic practices!” I iove this quote! I’d say that an index gives the backbone, but not the brain. I’d say the catalyst would be the brain in this analogy, and this paragraph really questions what is ‘true’ online. Just because it’s on the internet doesn’t make it honest, true, valid or well versed. The title of this article Technomedia made me wonder, what is technomedia? According to Han, it’s the marrying of media and it’s instrument (tv meets computer, tv meets gas station, radio meets tv and computer meets phone.) “Prior to the popularization of the Internet, media and technology were considered to be distinct entities.” The definition has come a long way from photography, radio on am, and film.”Technomedia is unlike prior media and technologies precisely because of its ability to break down and reconstitute the classic categories of knowledge, space, time, subjectivity, and politics upheld by philosophy information, and systems theory,””These changes allow us to scrutinize what it is that technomedia do. Are technomedia means of communication? If so, what do they communicate-human ideas or just “information’’? Furthermore, are information and human ideas mutually exclusive? By using language to transfer ideas so we actually talk to create new ideas and talk about our new ideas, it’s a cycle really. When I’m at work I talk with my boss about what project we will pull together by the deadline, then I think about the ideas we’ve spoken of. This allows me to make the distinction that yes, ideas and information are mutually exclusive, we need both to do either, but without one, lacks the foreground to the solution. This weeks article was my favorite thus far. Thanks for reading my mix mash of thoughts:”)

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you also that ideas and information are mutually exclusive. Your critique here was very interesting to read and I liked how you picked it apart piece by piece. Very good analogy on everything! I mean our ideas contain varieties of information, thus being reliant on one another. When there is a need for ideas, there is a need for information and vice versa. You really took all the important parts of this writing piece and meshed it together in a very informative and insightful way. Technomedia is definitely an essential advancement of information systems, which we no other take a big part in.

    ReplyDelete