Friday, April 15, 2011

it's as relative as the 'falling apple'

Something I gained from the reading ‘end of books’ was that hyperspace and text are two different realms, and the writer for hypertext must write for their audience accordingly. With the advent of kindle, ebooks and blogging I find the article really relevant for todays students, and the author makes a point to mention she isn't accostomed to online text(using a mouse) This quote from the article sums of her idea of what authors run into online-

"There is still movement, but in hyperspace’s dimensionless infinity, it is more like endless expansion; it runs the rist of being so distended and slackly driven as to lose its centripetal force, to give way to a kind of static low-charged lyricism-that dreamy gravityless lost-in-space feeling of the early sci-fi films. How does one resolve the conflict between the readers desire for coherence and closure and the text’s desire for continuance, its fear of death? Indeed,what is closure in such an environment? If everything is middle, how do you know when you are done, either as a reader or writer?” I love this quote because it’s relatable, and I love how the author mentions online, we tend to ramble I can so relate to this quote! I also loved the last two paragraphs of the article which mention the text needs to fit it’s audience, a change in mind and text, that’s as relative as the ‘falling apple.’ Hyperspace is a one way street, that leads to a culdesac, unlike text which is a two lane highway- this is the conclusion I’ve drawn from the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment