Saturday, February 12, 2011

The internet has (kind of) run out of space

Doug Gross wrote this aricle for CNN news, which presents new information to me that less than two weeks ago the last internet address had been taken. I thought this article was so informative and I had no idea there was a limit to internet addresses (because I assume they would create more) It sounds like the Number-Resource Organization has been ready for this for decades. The new pool, which has technically been ready since 1999, has so many IP addresses that most non-mathematicians probably don't even know the number exists -- 340 undecillion. !!!! Curran was correct I HAD NO IDEA THIS NUMBER EXISTED ! Why didn’t I learn about this in my statistics class?  The new system uses a much longer string, and has numbers and other characters. Internet addresses aren't limited to websites; every internet-connected device has a built-in IP address. Curran said that the numbers started running out much more quickly once smartphones and other mobile devices became more popular around the world.” (Gross) I personally believe they will create an alternative to .com in the near future, but lacking a techie personality Im not sure this will solve the problem!

1 comment:

  1. This is an Incredible article. This The internet seems to be so immense and unimaginable, like the universe. It is amazing that something that seems to be limitness and omnipresent is really a complex series of networks and has tangible demensions. I really think this is relevant to our class.  With every facebook post, youtube video, and pirated music, is space being filled up? It will be really interesting to see how this unfolds over the next 10 years. Should we have a internet clean up? Surely there is stuff on there that is no longer relevant or useful. I wonder how that process would work?

    ReplyDelete