Saturday, February 19, 2011

introvert vs extrovert

Consequences of Online Networking by Adam Acar, is a great summary of bow online networking creates an emotional reaction for us, at the same time a reflection of our personalities. Carl Jung introduced the idea of introversion and extroversion and how they play a large role in psychological functions and communication behavior. “Although he also mentioned four factors (thinking, feeling, rationalistic, intuitive) which interact with these two main personality types, according to Jung, extroverts in general are the ones who are sociable, outgoing, compatible and well fit into the society where introverts carry totally opposite attributes Both Burgoon (1976) and McCroskey and Richmond (1990) saw extroversion as an antecedent to (un)willingness to communicate. In addition, past research has shown that extroverts and introverts significantly differ in terms of communication patterns and group behavior” (s6)
I found this part of the article most influential and striking. I am very outgoing, I never let things go unsaid, however , I don’t like attention, so really I am just an extrovert with tendencies of an introvert. What is ironic is in my first posting I mention this, I am pretty indifferent to the way I look, and getting attention for the way I look, so maybe, although Id hate to admit it, maybe it explains why I never like putting my picture up on facebook. Although I am not outgoing online, I am very outgoing in person, which is really because I don’t like the attention (of pictures) like I mentioned. I’m beginning to think you can have confidence but low self-esteem, which is me. I think most people are a balance of introvert and extrovert, and their online behavior definitely reflects it.

No comments:

Post a Comment