I chose the article written by Clayton Morris which essentially analyzes many peoples, mainly his own, dependence on the internet and ipad (ect) He writes about watching his son grow up and be very 'innately' drawn to technology. His reflection on his experience building a fence to keep the raccoons out and how he was fearful of his own son not learning to figure things out himself and use his hands to build something. I can reference numerous instances where people are so dependent on their gps, and it just gets them lost. I feel like good old finding your way around has lost it's fun. Really, no one likes to be lost , but hey, even with the stupid gps we're driving around in circles.... I see something wrong and concur with Morris on his fearful outlook on the future.
Growing Up Digital: Can Kids Balance Tech Skills and Life Skills? here is the link to the article
Haha! I'm the one using my Droid's turn by turn navigation in the car and still getting lost. My sense of direction has always been terrible at best. I've always been more of a technically minder person and not skilled with my hands. It takes me a while to figure out how to put things together, for example. Give me a new digital camera though, and I'll figure out the menus and functions in a jiffy. I think everyone has their own strengths, and this will not change because of technology. It's just that the younger generations are more exposed to it, so it is more natural to them. My brother is really good with his hands, but he was always working on things with my dad. I didn't have nearly as much opportunity to do so growing up, and I'm sure that had something to do with my lack of abilities.
ReplyDelete