Friday, February 18, 2011
Nothing follows from following, except change
The article could have been better grammatically constructed and contained a bit too much jargon for my liking. The first two sentences confused me beyond belief, however thankfully by the third and fourth sentences I began to get the point. I agree with the article, but did not enjoy reading it. I felt like I was reading a culmination of excerpts from numerous books that had nothing in common, and by the end of the article I didn’t know whether I was coming or going. From Hitler references, to early English writings, Shakespeare and electric light. I took away from the article that what we use is what is important, not what it is used for. While technology has replaced jobs that were there before, it has created them also. “Nothing follows from following except change” (McLuhan pg. 3) This comment really makes you appreciate that change is natural and throughout time, as far back as Shakespeare, change has occurred and not always patiently. The correlation McLuhan makes between cotton, oil and coal to technology was genius. This really was the paragraph that redeems McLuhan’s choppy article and what makes me agree with the seven page message.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment